All the child’s life systems are fully developed, his height and weight have reached normal levels, the expected date of birth is already behind, and the child is in no hurry to take his first breath in this world.
What does this term mean?
This is the time to figure out why the baby has not yet been born. Of course, for the mother, this is a cause for alarm and concern. But you should not panic, because even according to medical indications, 42 weeks is not a post-term pregnancy.
How to distinguish a post-term pregnancy from a prolonged one, which denotes a natural “delay” of the toddler in the mother’s womb?
The content of the article:
Differences between post-term and prolonged pregnancy
Expose yourself to unrest once again is not worth it. It is possible that the term of your pregnancy was simply incorrectly determined when registering. Such cases are not uncommon. But even if the deadlines are determined exactly, this is not a reason to be nervous.
A late-ripening fetus and a pregnancy that lasts more than forty weeks is the norm for a woman whose menstrual cycle exceeds 28 days. As a rule, such a baby is born mature and completely healthy.
An overripe fetus has its own characteristics, which determine its postmaturity.
Signs of a post-term baby:
- Dry and flaky skin
- Green tint of the skin and membranes (due to the presence of meconium in the amniotic fluid);
- Reduction of subcutaneous fatty tissue and cheese-like lubrication;
- Large body size and increased density of the bones of the skull;
- As well as long nails and wrinkling;
- The doctor will help to determine whether the pregnancy has been postponed, or the time of the baby’s birth has simply not come yet. He will prescribe certain examinations to clarify the condition of the child, placenta and amniotic fluid.
Examination methods to determine post-term pregnancy:
- Doppler ultrasonography
- Cardiomotor monitoring of the baby’s heartbeat
A comprehensive examination will allow the doctor to determine the need to stimulate labor or to let the expectant mother go before the birth process begins on her own.
Signs of a post-term pregnancy:
- Turbidity and a greenish tint of amniotic fluid from the meconium (feces of a child) present in them;
- Lack of “front waters” tight-fitting the baby’s head;
- A sharp decrease in the amount of amniotic fluid;
- Increased density of the bones of the child’s skull;
- The absence of flakes of cheese-like lubricant in the amniotic fluid;
- Signs of aging of the placenta;
- Immaturity of the cervix.
Confirmation of these symptoms will most likely entail a doctor’s offer to induce labor or a caesarean section.
What could be the cause?
- Fears of the expectant mother can become a serious reason for the “postmaturity” of the child. Often, the fear of premature birth forces a woman to minimize all the associated risks. As a result, it helps to maintain pregnancy, but complicates childbirth;
- At 42 weeks of gestation, you should forget about your worries and fully return to what you neglected all nine months – to active walks and walking on stairs, to swimming, gymnastic exercises and intimate life. After all, carrying a baby is just as dangerous as giving birth ahead of schedule;
- Everything is good in moderation, and pregnancy fatigue is quite normal and is recognized by everyone, but permanent control over the manifestation of signs of labor also prevents it from starting on time. Take a break from waiting, busy yourself with arranging a family nest or a trip to visit;
- Fear of childbirth of the future father and annoying anxiety of relatives are also often the reason for delayed childbirth. The best option for the expectant mother (provided that the doctor’s examinations did not reveal any abnormalities) is to enjoy life in all its fullness and volume.
Physical causes of post-term pregnancy:
- Psychoemotional shock;
- Deficiency of hormones that contribute to the onset of labor;
- Chronic diseases of the female reproductive system;
- Violation of fat metabolism;
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Hereditary factors.
Feelings of the expectant mother
Delivery at 42 weeks gestation is 10 percent of cases. Mostly, childbirth occurs earlier than this period. But even if you hit these ten percent, do not worry in advance – 70 percent of “post-term” pregnancies turn out to be just wrong calculations in terms.
Of course, at 42 weeks of pregnancy, a woman needs special support from her loved ones.
- The expectant mother is morally exhausted and physically tired. Her strongest desire, after, of course, how to squeeze a born baby to her breast is to return to her former lightness and mobility;
- Puffiness – 70 percent of women suffer from it at this stage of pregnancy;
- Bowel problems affect almost 90 percent of pregnant women. This is constipation or diarrhea associated with hormonal changes in the female body, dysbiosis and a decrease in the motor functions of the intestines.
Fetal development, height and weight
- Bones babies at the 42nd week of pregnancy become denser and harder;
- Body mass increases and ranges from 3.5 to 3.7 kg;
- Growth the fetus at the 42nd week can be from 52 to 57 cm;
- Severe changes (in weight and bone density) may threaten to increase the risk of birth trauma for the child and rupture of the birth canal for the mother;
- 95% of children born at this time are born perfectly healthy… Exceptions are cases where the obsolete placenta does not allow the child to receive sufficient oxygen, provoking the development of hypoxia. There are also cases of a sharp decrease in amniotic fluid, the consequence of which is the entanglement of the fetus with the umbilical cord;
- In general, timely control over the state of the child and their own health ensures a favorable completion of pregnancy with the appearance of the long-awaited toddler.
An ultrasound scan at 42 weeks of gestation may become necessary if the doctor suspects the presence of various risk factors that can lead to health problems in the mother and baby.
Risk factors indicating the need for induction of labor:
- Pathology of the child’s place (placenta);
- Insufficient amount of amniotic fluid;
- The presence of meconium suspension in the amniotic fluid;
- Other individual indicators;
- But, as a rule, an ultrasound scan performed at a given stage of pregnancy shows a fully formed baby, ready for birth.
Photo of the fetus, photo of the abdomen, ultrasound and video about the development of the child
Video reviews of girls about pregnancy and childbirth at 42 weeks of gestation
Recommendations and advice for the expectant mother
- It is important to track changes in your weight, because both overweight and its deficiency threaten the development of abnormalities in the fetus;
- In the problem of dysbiosis, constipation and diarrhea, proper nutrition and daily routine help, contributing to the normal functioning of the body and, most importantly, the digestive system;
- You should eat at this time often, but in more modest portions;
- It is recommended to eat foods rich in plant fibers – wholemeal bread, cereals, vegetables with fruits;
- We also do not forget about the probiotics we need, contained in fermented milk products, and about calcium with protein, which are needed both by the mother and the unborn baby;
To speed up the process of approaching the “happy moment”, there are several tested methods of self-stimulation of labor:
- Firstly, the contraction and subsequent emptying of the intestines give a considerable effect, causing the instant production of prostaglandins. This method does not exclude the use of enemas and castor oil.
- The most powerful stimulant of labor is intercourse at the end of pregnancy. Orgasm is a stimulation for the contraction of the uterine muscles, and sperm are the source of the same prostaglandins that contribute to the contraction and softening of the cervix.
- And, of course, an equally effective way is nipple stimulation. This action leads to an increase in oxytocin in the blood. An oxytocin analog is used by doctors to induce labor. The best effect of massaging the nipples is achieved by massaging them for 15 minutes three times during the day.
That joyful day is not far off when you hear the first cry of your baby.
When leaving on business, do not forget:
- Throw the necessary documents into your purse, including a birth certificate and an exchange card – suddenly the birth will find you in the most unexpected place.
- The bag assembled with children’s things should be immediately put in a conspicuous place so that your relatives do not then run around the apartment in a feverish search for the right things.
- And, most importantly, remember, dear mothers-to-be: you have already entered that home stretch, at the end of which a long-awaited gift awaits you – a lovely dear child.
What women say about week 42:
And we were born on the forty-second week of June 24! Difficult childbirth was … Since the PDR, they tried to give me birth for a week and a half. Then the bladder was punctured and left to wait for the uterus to open. It was then that I yelled … Girls, you shouldn’t give up epidural anesthesia! I say exactly.
The forty-second week has gone … Hmmm. The traffic jam has gone away for a long time, the training fights have already begun at 38 weeks, and we are all waiting … Probably, I will carry them, like female elephants, for two years. No one wants to stimulate, doctors advise treating a delay in labor with sex. But there is no more strength for it. Good luck and easy delivery to everyone!
Girls, I can’t take it anymore! For forty weeks now, and not even a sign! It seems that it will only cut somewhere, you think – well, here it is! But no. I don’t want to go to the hospital. I don’t want to communicate with anyone. She turned off the phone because she was tortured with her “Well, when already?” Everything is annoying, tired as a horse, and angry as a dog – when will it all end? I wish everyone healthy kids!
And I don’t strain at all. As it will be – so it will be. On the contrary, great! After all, when one has yet to experience such sensations. I enjoy it. Then there will be something to remember.
And nothing hurts me. It’s even awkward somehow.)) By all indications – we are about to be born. The tummy sank down, pressed his head into the pelvis, sat down so tightly. If I don’t give birth today, then I’ll go to the hospital in the morning. It would be time already.
Previous: Week 41
Choose any other in the pregnancy calendar.
Calculate the exact due date in our service.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!